General Update: Lesser Keys, Createspace, Etc

Alright blog readers!

1. Over the coming weeks an edition, finally, of the infamous Lesser Keys- that grimoire compilation of compilations- will be finalized. My artist, the talented Rita Metzner (who already illustrated the Ars Goetia for me) is working through the symbols in the Theurgia Goetia and the single illustration in the Almadel. Once those are done it will be extremely simplistic to craft an edition since the Goetia and Paulina are already available and in final form. I would like to note that my edition will not contain the Ars Notoria, as it does not belong to the same era or manufacture of the other four books.

2. A quick update on Createspace- they still haven’t fully switched into KDP/Amazon so my hope (my dear hope) is to release aforementioned edition the old way. Otherwise it might take a bit longer as I have to figure out how to make paperbacks separate from ebooks via KDP.

3. Almost 200 copies of the Book of Styxhexenhammer have already sold in less than a month. This is considerably higher than anticipated.

4. I have some ideas for authored works but I want to at least knock three edited works out of the way by the end of the year also, to make it a round 155 editions total.

A fun (and busy) last quarter of the year approaches!

Advertisements

Createspace Account Reinstated

After an entire week of having no access to my sales (which obviously were lower during that period and will remain slightly lower than normal until my titles hopefully get unsuppressed) Createspace has removed the temporary suspension that was active on my account. This means the next order of work is to go through the tedious process of proving to their validation team that I possess the rights to sell copies of works I had already been selling for several years.

 

Right now, the Grimorium Verum, Philosophical Merlin, Semiforas and Schemhamforash, and Book of Alchemy are suppressed and I have submitted evidence of their status. Two other works I will just leave suppressed because they are 1. insignificant and 2. the original evidence I used to show their public domain status when I uploaded them years ago is no longer on the internet.

Of all the works which Amazon suppressed in error the Grimorium Verum was the most significant.

 

The Sepher Bahir passed their review as did the Sepher Yetzirah. Oddly, these two works were the ones that got noticed enough to get my account suspended. The former is available, the latter will be once the files fully process.

The email I got in response to my successful “reinstate me please” response admonished me as follows: “Please note that your future submissions may be subject to additional review prior to being published. This may result in a delay in publishing.” That’s rather sad, because it means I will presumably only be an author from now on rather than risk editing public domain works and getting kicked off entirely despite breaking no rule or law.

Ending My Re-Editing Project Early; Amazons Copyright Team Has Some… Quirks

Alright everyone the weather is finally summer-esque so it’s time for a re-editing project update!

The update is that I am going to complete two more works and then shelf the project indefinitely with respect to all works I didn’t personally author. For those works the new editions will run alongside the old ones for some time.

 

Why? It isn’t like it’s hard to skim over a text I already proofread and corrected, since all I need to do is correct it once its new font and format are done, then make a new cover since the early editions weren’t up to my new standards. Since the payoff is so high (I can lower the cost and improve the product, which likely means more readership- a win win for everyone) and the effort fairly low (I can re-edit a text every day, and could re-edit all of them by mid June) why would I end the project?

 

The answer is Amazons’ arcane and slow copyright related processes; right now three of my works are awaiting confirmation that I have the right to release editions of them- one of them was written in the 17th century. I already supplied this needed proof (since these are just re-edits of extant editions from 2015 and early 2016) when I first released them. In the case of the Grimorium Verum (one of my top sellers among edited works- I managed to sell 47 copies of it this month before it got suppressed awaiting confirmation) it has been in this gray area for five days now, since twice I have supplied proof it is a public domain work only to be told I somehow need a signed statement regarding permission to utilize it.

But, Amazon, I AM the one giving myself permission; the original work was ALSO mine! And I can’t supply you the authors’ name or date of death- the author is not known! (Clearly listed in the text and on the BISAC info) Since it dates to the middle of the 18th century the general assumption is the author “probably” died prior to the 1800s, let alone the 1920s cutoff for public domain status.

 

The use of createspace/amazon for self publishing remains exceptionally easy overall but this is one part of the process that needs a tweaking desperately.